Client Tip for September 2017: Legal Documents for College Students

 In Client Tips


With students going off to college, there are a couple of documents you may want or need to have:

  • Healthcare and Healthcare Directive — This allows you to make medical decisions on behalf of the student should they become incapacitated and unable to make their own decisions.
  • HIPAA Privacy Authorization Form — This allows healthcare providers to release and discuss medical issues with the parent. After a child turns 18 years of age, their medical information is no longer accessible by their parents without the proper authorization.

Make sure your student is not only ready for their school work but also for any emergencies.

The above-named healthcare forms are legal documents and as such, you should consult an attorney before signing. You can get additional information and generic forms regarding the healthcare documents on the public section of the Missouri Bar website ( Go to “Public” tab and then choose “Legal Guides & Forms”, then click “Read more” for “Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare”. Will be under FILLABLE FORMS Section.

“Your Partner In Success”


“The glow of one warm thought
is to me worth more than money.”
Thomas Jefferson
3rd President of the United States
from 1801 – 1809
Recommended Posts

Start typing and press Enter to search